Monday, July 13, 2009

The Jackson Hole

7/12/09 WY last

I often look at the blank box empty of words and don't really know
what to say, where to begin, wonder what I could write that could
capture whatever has been happening. And it happens most all of the
time.

I left Wilson WY for the Tetons, Yellowstone, and beyond almost a week
ago. The days have each been eventful in their own right. 24 hours, 24
hours, 24 hours, the consistent.

The day I dropped into the Bridger-Teton natnl forest a question I had
been rolling around in my thoughts for months felt more answered than
ever before. Posed in a movie I love, I Heart Huckabees, "how am I not
myself?" Its jus one of those notions I tossed around for some time
and crossing over into the mountains and forests after traveling the
sage strewn range for days I topped 'the rim' and reckoned with that
question. The answer could perhaps be verbalized but in reality is
more an unstated understanding, not necessarily a sensation, not even
an emotion, but a calm a peace an ease. An awareness of self. Jigsaw
pieces. So I descended to Hoback Junction and pedaled into Jackson,
tracked down Ronnie-Jean and Kyle, and carried on to their new place
in Wilson just a few miles away.

I don't really know how best to describe where they live, it's a cabin/
house outside Wilson with a view of the Tetons to the north and Teton
pass to the west, they're on 2 acres with an irrigation ditch running
along their property which makes for prime swiming for Kenzie the
malamut pup. One of the first things I noticed was the rhubarb growing
just off the porch. They didn't know what it was and I decided to make
a pie. I wasn't sure if I would stay an extra day but when Kyle told
me that the next day both he and Ronnie would be off and they were
going to a hootenanny my mind was made up to stick around. That first
nigt we all crowded into their kitchen and drank some local Snake
River beer, cooked a cottage pie, a rhubarb pie, and a bunch of fresh
corn which always makes me happy. They're from Maine and being around
them made me long all the more for my good friends out there in the
northeast. All of them.

My 'rest' day was filled with breakfast at Nora's in Wilson, a trip to
the post office in Jackson, a round of disc golf at Teton Village, a
supper of leftovers and more corn, the hootenanny, and all rounded off
with a moose sighting on the drive home. Oh, I got a coupon for free
cookies at the grocery store earlier in the day, too! Sitting at the
hoot' was perfect. Watching so many musicians come out to share with
each other while folks from all over were there just to be there in
the fading light on a cool summer evening in the mountains was
warming. Thoroughly. I was so happy to be there yet so sad to know
that the following morning I was going to get up just after the sun
and pack my bags, eat some oatmeal, drink one last cup of coffee with
Ronnie-Jean and Kyle, and set off on my journey once again.

1 comment:

Shanab said...

moving! Spectacular - thank you!

much love.