Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pedaling CO

7/1/09 North West North

Today I began my ride out of Steamboat Springs all smiles. Yesterday
atop Muddy Pass while I was taking a picture of a continental divide
sign I met a fellow biker turning around and heading back to
Steamboat. We chatted for a bit and agreed that I would stay with him
and his family for the night. Steven took off for Rabbit Ears pass and
so did I shortly thereafter, albeit somewhat reluctantly because I was
adding an extra fifteen miles to my already longer than intended first
day in the saddle. However, I knew that those extra miles would be
well worth it. Needless to say, I was thoroughly knackered long before
finishing for the day. Steven met me in town and took me up to his
place, put me in their immaculate guest house, and told me to come
over for dinner whenever I was ready. The whole situation was a bit
surreal and almost felt too good to be true, but as dreamlike as it
felt, it was entirely real. Though I did most of the question
answering over dinner and was the slowest to finish, I would have
gladly carried our conversations on into the night. Steven and
Adrienne's oldest daughter, Ellie, who is 19, has expressed an
interest in doing a two week, solo bike tour somewhere in WY or CO and
they wanted my opinion on the matter (this was before I met Ellie). I
still don't know what I would do if I were in their shoes, probably
tell her to find a friend to do it with. I suppose there would be a
little less concern for her safety were she a son. But not really.
Some people thrive on testing themselves, myself included, and will
one way or another find ways to make challenges happen, and I hope I
conveyed that last night. But I also think I didn't offer any wisdom
to aid in their decision making. After meeting her (she's beautiful)
she seems savvy enough, and I think she would be fine on her own and
would have a great ride/time, but you never know-the same goes for me.

Well, today I rode to Maybell, CO on some lonely roads, the sun was
shining all day and the winds were bearable. I dined on leftovers from
last night's dinner and some banana bread (cheers Adrienne), tomorrow
will not be nearly as tasty as I head north towards Rock Springs
across 120 miles of what I gather is pure desolation. As much as I
would like to cover it all in one day I anticipate falling short and
having to kip-out somewhere between.

No comments: