Thursday, May 22, 2008

inevitibility

I guess that it was inevitable that we'd get hit by some rain, though we haven't ridden in any yet, we'll be in it tomorrow. the sun was blazing as we made our way across Idaho and even our first day in Wyoming as we rode from Alpine to Jackson two days ago. Yesterday was our designated rest day in Jackson, it rained and rained and rained and rained all day today as well, so we opted to stay put and wait for warmer temps (it's supposed to be 50F in Jackson tomorrow and still wet). The potential for snow on the roads was the real deciding factor for us.

We met so many nice folks in Idaho. In Fairfield, up on the Camas Prairie we were taken in by a family, they gave us their lawn for the night, washed our clothes, allowed us to shower (or maybe insisted on it due to our collective odor), and cooked us dinner and breakfast the next morning. Dad had a tire blow out the following day, just as I had reached him after hanging back in town for a little while. I was convinced that after our little fiasco with thorns upon entering Idaho would be the first chapter in a novel of disasters, how wrong I was, and how thankful I am for that.

I must admit that over the years I've not given the Idaho landscape the credit it deserves. It is not as varied as Oregon but is stunning nonetheless. I'd love to go back someday and tour the mountains. The roughly thirty miles of climbing out of Mountain Home was such a delight! Thankfully there's more climbing to come. I must admit that I'm a little worried that Nebraska and Kansas will make me a batty.

We're staying in Jackson with a friend from Orono and a few other mainers which is nice. As strange as it was to sleep indoors the first night here it's amazing how easily I have welcomed it. I am getting a little stir-crazy having not ridden for two days now but when I look outside and the water dripping off the roofs it's real easy to stay put a little longer. This extra day in town even gave me the opportunity to bake some bread! It just came out of the oven and looks pretty good, unfortunately one of the loaves stuck to the pan and has a motley bottom.

I guess that tomorrow we'll have to head out, I think we're both ready to move on. Then again, staying in Jackson with Ronnie, Kyle, Dan, and Chris would be nice, it has been awesome.

I'm finding that my mind is wandering less and less as all I am concerned with these days is taking care of my physical needs. Riding, eating, and sleeping. And that's about it.

Ride On.

No comments: