Saturday, May 3, 2008

Prologues

Yesterday I pedaled from my hometown of Silverton out to Neskowin beach.  The weather was lovely, albeit breezy (though not nearly as bad as those blustery spring afternoons in Maine).  There is something unique to riding a bike to the ocean.  For me, pedaling to the sea feels like pedaling to the end, from which there is nothing but an undulating body of water unawares the human condition.  It's especially nice to arrive at the Pacific as golden waves crash upon the endless, sandy beach--the alternative being a driving rain brought forth by an angry Poseidon.

Somewhere along the way amidst the past few years my home became Maine.  I was beginning to forget some of the not so subtle details of the Oregon landscape.  As I rode through the coastal mountains yesterday I couldn't help but stare at the moss covered trees crowding the slopes or the tributary streams snaking through the valleys; at times I am convinced there remain places forgotten by Time.  

I guess that tomorrow we begin our journey East, it'll be interesting riding with all this extra junk.  Sure, I've ridden plenty of miles with stuffed jersey pockets but now having four bags to put too much miscellany into is proving to be something of a conundrum.  I cannot seem to resist the temptation to stuff them to the brim unnecessarily...So long as there's room for a bottle of beer and a loaf of bread I'll manage!

So, that's me, for now.

Have Fun,

1 comment:

Hannah Kelley said...

Time is personified, nice.

Time will be keeping tabs on you Ross. I wonder who you were in your past lives.

"...there is nothing but an undulating body of water unawares the human condition."

I am also in front of the Pacific. Regardless of the number of student riots, buses, police abuses or turmoil, concerts and boats, it keeps lapping at the shore, snoring, uninterested.