Monday, May 26, 2008

more and more and more

we left Jackson the other day, I guess it was Friday?

Saturday we climbed over Togwotee Pass on our way to Lander.
We woke Saturday morning to a temperature of 37F and a light rain/mist, I over fueled with the end of a bag of cereal, whole milk, and a brownie I'd picked up the day before at Dornan's at the entrance to Teton National Park as I was on the lookout for fuel and elk and bison. After less than thirty minutes of climbing I was overheating despite the lower temp of 34F and rain that had given way to falling snow. While pedaling upwards and into that grey horizon I was wondering at the absurdity of some of these endeavors so many of us embark on, oftentimes knowing full-well what is in store. I don't necessarily think the experience is always pleasurable during, but afterwards when out of the elements while eating and drinking, warm and dry, the unsavory becomes savory. But I also realize that I was at the foot of Memorial Day weekend, a weekend that has been notoriously bad for members of the OMC (Oregon State University Mountain Club) and mountains. We lost some dear friends one year, and dear toes another. Cornelius's smile was never out of my periphery that day. As many mountaineers and climbers will tell you, it is oftentimes the descent that wreaks the most havoc. This rang true for me that day. I was hot with sweaty and snowy clothes as I crossed that 9658Ft mountain pass and began the thirty mile drop to Dubois. At first the cold was an afterthought, but after a few miles at more around 30mph in driving 35F rain I was freezing...luckily, just as my teeth began to chatter I came upon the Lava Mountain Resort where I dripped, drank cocoa, tucked into some chili, and warmed slightly. I left and a few miles down the road the rain gave way to a luxurious tailwind and it was smooth sailing across the Wind river and into Dubois. Behind me my dad was having his own adventures in the snowy pass, the lucky bugger got to see a moose while eating a burrito at Togwotee Lodge, I only saw a few mule deer that day, looking less comfortable than I must have on the descent.

Yesterday we rode out of Dubois and into Lander, the sun was shining but the wind was unfavorable for the last 60 or so miles making the trek seem more difficult than usual, probably we were jaded by the first fifteen miles with a ripping tailwind. In Lander we set up camp at the city park and narrowly escaped an exciting hailstorm, we now know what it sounds like inside a popcorn popper! The storm eased long enough for us to cook, but then it picked up again and rained all night and was still going strong this morning, POURING this morning. So we checked in for the day, did laundry, dried everything, and are anticipating more rain tomorrow. Tomorrow we ride, however.

It is looking like we're in for a change of route. We'd planned to head for Rawlins and then trend south into Colorado but now think we'll head for Casper and follow the Platte river into Nebraska and then make our way into Kansas.

Mom, I'm sending more stuff home. Don't worry, you won't need the gas mask this time. Speaking of sending, send me your address (any of you) and maybe I'll get a postcard off to ya'.

I guess we went from unseasonably dry and hot conditions to the opposite, cold and wet, maybe it's a Wyoming thing? One thing is for sure, this weather doesn't often bring out the best in a person and we've had our spats, thankfully no hard feelings have lingered. Speaking of the weather, I'm a little nervous to head to the plains since they're getting nailed by tornadoes and I really don't want to have to deal with those sorts of winds...

And one last thought to any of you biking around in the rain, just be glad you're not loaded down and riding in it all day long. I assure you that you'll get to where you're going a whole lot faster than we will. I sound like I don't like riding in the rain, some of you know that's not entirely true as I've dragged more than one unknowing soul on bike rides in diabolical weather. Be comforted in the knowledge that you are with me on this ride, too.

ta-ta for now,
ross

No comments: